As a property owner, you should ensure positive interactions between you and your tenants. You can facilitate these interactions as early as the move-in walkthrough. A move-in walkthrough will offer a lot of benefits, not just for your tenant, but for you as well! Let’s look at these benefits for property owners and a few best practices for making the most of your move-in walkthrough.
Rethinking the Move-In Walkthrough
Too often, the move-in walkthrough is viewed as more of a tenant’s responsibility than something a landlord does. A move-in walkthrough does provide, though, benefits to both parties. As such, it should be considered carefully! A walkthrough works best for both move-in and move-out. What is a move-in walkthrough, by the way? It’s the literal walking through the property so as to identify any problems or issues that need to be addressed before the tenant moves in.
It’s a smart move when Richardson property managers take the move-in walkthrough seriously. To further that point, let’s go over a few good reasons that support it.
- It makes it possible for you and your tenant to trust each other. Walking through your property with your tenant sends a message that you are a responsible owner that cares about the condition of your property and that you are open to the thoughts your tenant might have about the property, as well. Tenants will most likely immediately report small issues when they are confident that you care — this can lead to reduced repair costs. This is an opportune time to go over the “house rules” with your tenant. In these moments, you can establish good relations with your tenants so as to build good and healthy rapport.
- It helps you to be precise in the deduction of the deposit at the end of the lease. To facilitate a swift and stress-free move-out time, you need good documentation of your property’s condition before your tenant moves in. This can help you better gauge wear and tear and other repair issues and provide ample evidence to support any deductions you make from your tenant’s security deposit.
Walkthrough Best Practices
To maximize a move-in walkthrough, make sure to know what the best practices are. Just like these:
- Schedule a walkthrough with your tenant. Set a time to conduct a move-in walkthrough with your new tenant. This is a good way of getting off on the right foot — make the face-to-face interaction one that is positive and memorable!
- Use a checklist. Give your tenant a move-in checklist and review it together. After going through it, make sure your tenant secures a hard copy of it. Doing this will give the positive impression that you are being very clear with the expectations between you and your tenant.
- Take photos. If you notice any issues that might become problems, make sure to document them and take pictures. Pictures provide references for both repairs and comparisons for when it’s time to conduct the move-out walkthrough.
Move-in walkthroughs are essential and should be standard practice; however, they do take time. This becomes problematic when your residence is located far from your rental property. With help, however, from someone who knows exactly what to do in these kinds of situations, it can be hassle and stress-free. At Real Property Management Legend, we provide a full range of services that help rental property owners make the most of their investments. Call 214-227-2404 today to learn more!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.